Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's Pretty Serious When the Ambulance Shows Up.

My husband and I had YaYa and Papa (my parents) babysit Syd and Sam one night last summer.  We picked them up late and headed home to get them to bed.  Sam, not one to ever miss out on anything was wide awake wondering about our evening away and Sydney continued sleeping with his neck at the awkward angle that kids are able to sleep in while in a car.  We were chatting as we drove into our neighborhood and then we saw the lights of an ambulance.
"What happened Mom?"
" I don't know Sam, hopefully nothing big."
"Well can we go ask them."
"No, you can get in trouble for bugging the ambulance people."
"Will they take us to jail?"
"Maybe."
"Well can we walk down the street and try to look."
"Probably not."
But, truthfully, who doesn't want to know why there is an ambulance at their neighbor's house? We parked the car in the garage, tossed the still sleeping Sydney in bed and walked back outside.  "Come on Sam, let's walk down the sidewalk a bit."
We walked a ways down the sidewalk to see what we could see, which wasn't much and then we just stood there waiting for some sort of action.
"I wonder what happened?" I asked, thinking out loud.
"I don't know, maybe they got the germinal cancer." Sam answered.
I looked down at my innocent Sam and wondered where the hell she had heard of terminal or germinal cancer.
"I don't know Sam, I hope not."
I wondered what her little brain envisioned germinal cancer to be and then we headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment