Wednesday, January 11, 2012

All Singing Has Been Banned!

Each summer, my family spends a beautiful weekend at my father-in-law's fantastic lake cabin for a family reunion.  This cabin is peaceful, homey and large enough to sleep most of the family.  The one downside to this cabin is the lack of insulation/carpeting or something between the upstairs and downstairs.  You can have a whispering conversation from a main floor room with a person in an upstairs room and hear every last syllable clear as a bell.  My goal on these particular weekends is to get the kids to sleep an hour ahead of everyone else so they aren't disturbing the sleep rituals of the upstairs guests.  This works out barely ever.  One of these nights brings back a fondly embarrassing memory.
I did place my children in bed ahead of everyone else, but they seem to enjoy having their very meaningful conversations after the lights go out.  I went back to the bedroom a few times to remind them to zip it and then the relatives started wandering off to bed.  I headed back to the bedroom to reign them in once again and Sydney informs me that he is teaching Sam a new song that he had learned.  Of course he felt it necessary to share this new song with me as well, so I agreed on the condition that they would sleep after this performance.  This was agreed to and then the show began.  The kids stood up, joined hands and began skipping in a circle. They were 4 and 5 years old, so they did more humming than singing until the very important part of the song.
"All awound the Muwberry bush, Duh dunt da dunt duh duh duh, dunt duh dunt duh duh duh duh duh........POP goes the wiener!"
And then they started to repeat this and I begin yelling at them in silence, waving my arms, shaking them and doing whatever I could to silently stop the lovely pop goes the wiener performance. There was silence upstairs, I'm sure my face was a crimson shade and all I could do was say.  "I love you guys, lets lay down and go to sleep, no more singing please."
The next morning the only thing I heard from anyone sleeping upstairs was Aunt Donna telling me how sweet the kids were singing downstairs last night.  Oh gawd!

No comments:

Post a Comment